Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Terence Hannum



 Who are you?  Where are you from and where do you live now?
I am Terence Hannum, I live in Chicago.  I've been here about 9 years after living in Florida

What is it that you do?  What media do you use?
I make art.  Paintings, drawings, video and sound installations.  I use a lot of different media, mainly gouache on paper or oil on panel, and analog tape, plus video projections.
 
    
 
What do you think sets your work apart?
Maybe my subject matter, which is the location of the seminal rites of subcultures in the arena of live music, its gear and ephemera.  How it acts as our new mythology.
How long have you been showing your work for?  Did you have a “big break?”
I've been showing my work for about 10 years, at very different levels.  You know that's a weird question, sometimes something appears to be a break and is a dead end and other time you think it'll be this small thing and you get a ton of press or more people see it than you originally thought.  


What are some things that have inspired you?
Records, live shows, and a lot of books and ephemera.  I would say lately it would be vintage Acoustic Control Corporation catalogs, Watteau's paintings and drawings and Julia Kristeva's "Powers of Horror" plus my weird 7" collection.
    
 
 
 What have you been working on recently?
In January 2010 I started a monthly zine of drawings, and sometimes collaborators.  Varying sizes and formats on different stock.  And after 8 issues I am pleased to see the end ahead.  It's been a great project.  Helps me generate work around themes or edit work or source material into themes to fit the zines.
 
 
   Do you listen to music while you create your work?  If so, would you give some examples?
Oh yeah, all the time.  The last week I started listening to all of my 7"s, a collection I started 18 years ago, and it is all over the place.  I am not even through the first box yet.  So I am going through stuff like Professor's "Academizer" or Blunderbuss "Road to Arizona" or Lords "Moral Darkness".  Just weird one offs I picked up and it's great to be reminded of that time.  Though I break it up with a few LPs like Boris' "Amplifier Worship" or the Thou/Leech split LP.  
 
 
 
Do you do work in any other media?  Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?

I play in Locrian, we were a duo but are now a trio.  I play synthesizers and do vocals plus tape manipulations.   
 
 
 


What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?
Well from my limited experience it pays to be patient and let things grow.  Focus on the work, finding time and honing it along all sides.  I would say more important than a studio visit with some gallerist or curator is a visit with another artist who may see something you don't see or help you refine a point or just help you along during the lean times.  Remember, this is the long haul and art takes time.  Just because you do not have an opportunity doesn't mean your work is not good or relevant, eventually people will get what you're doing after some time or, in my opinion, they don't matter anyway.  Oh and most people do not matter anyway.  Seriously, it's not just me being misanthropic, like I only trust maybe five people's opinions about my own work.
 
 



Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?
Sure, I am in a group show now at Johalla Projects (http://johallaprojects.wordpress.com/) called "Who's Yr. Shaman?" with some artists I dig like Elijah Burgher and Rebecca Walz to name a few.  I have a solo show titled "New Rites" opening at DePauw University's Peeler Gallery (http://www.depauw.edu/galleries/2010/new_rites/) in the end of September.
 
 
 
 
Where can people see more of your work on the internet?
At my site www.terencehannum.com

No comments:

Post a Comment