Saturday, August 21, 2010

Erin Frost


Who are you? Where are you from and where do you live now?
I’m Erin Frost, I grew up in Montana, and currently live in Seattle, Washington.

What is it that you do? What media do you use?
My main body of work, and what I keep coming back to, is self-portraits. Film, cameras, and darkroom.


What do you think sets your work apart?
I suppose that I am the very thing that sets my work apart; my exposure makes the work accessible and intimate. That’s what I find so intriguing about self-portraits; it’s an intuitive process that relies on the intangible combination of vulnerability and that which remains concealed.


How long have you been showing your work for? Did you have a “big break?”
I don’t know if there is such a thing as a big break. But I definitely feel fortunate for some of the opportunities I’ve had/people I’ve met along the way.  I’ve been showing my work for about the past six years across the country as well as internationally.


What are some things that have inspired you?
My  primary inspiration is the process of transformation. I’m interested in the psychology of sexuality; ideas of power and lust. Visually I find inspiration in everything from vintage magazine ads to things I collect, props, odds and ends that seem to have a life of their own.


What have you been working on recently?
Some of my recent work has been playing with a more cinematic scope.
(see #8)


Do you listen to music while you create your work? If so, would you give some examples?
I prefer no music while I’m shooting; it’s easier to get lost that way. I like to get rid of the distractions that can pull me out of the moment. But there’s definitely music when I sit down to work on other projects, or am in the darkroom. Honestly, my taste in music varies as much as the personalities I adopt.


Do you do work in any other media? Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?
I’ve been really interested in printmaking recently. I’m learning the art of letterpress, and absolutely love it. And just finished a 3’x5’ linocut that was printed via steamroller.

What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?
Patience. Persistence. This is advice I give myself.


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?
I’m in a group show in Seattle, coming up next month. And beyond that, I really want to flesh out some new ideas/processes before committing to another solo exhibit.


Where can people see more of your work on the internet?
www.erinfrostphotography.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment