Thursday, August 19, 2010

Steven Johnson Leyba


Who are you? Where are you from and where do you live now?
I’m Steven Johnson Leyba I live all over the world but I am currently living in San Francisco California

What is it that you do? What media do you use?

I paint, I write, I perform, I make music, & movies. I am a published artist and author with several books out. I have 2 cd’s of music and spoken word out. I am primarily a fine art hand made book artist. My medium is oil over acrylic over collage and I use, blood on all my works and sometimes other bodily fluids like semen and excrement. I paint biological forms so I use part of those forms.


What do you think sets your work apart?
My work is a layering of many meanings, symbols and forms mostly organic usually human forms and sexuality in a political context. I do not hold back on my expression and have been called the “father of Sexpressionism” but my work isn’t about human sexuality necessarily it is about the totality of the human experience about the physicality, spirituality and all that makes up our individual and collective biological life experience. My work is a ritualization of the totality of life and embracing everything to reach that witch is most meaningful. I would never call me work “erotic” I would say I paint biology in a new way to express what it is like to be alive now. Simply put I PAINT NATURE, I PAINT MY NATURE because I AM NATURE.

How long have you been showing your work for?  Did you have a “big break?” 
I first started exhibiting my work when I was 16 at the Arkansas Arts Museum and have never stopped, I’m almost 44 now. Yes when my book Coyote Satan Amerika was published. A book of my first 5 hand made books as well as many of my blood ritual political performances and my manifestos. This book put me on the map.

What are some things that have inspired you?
My biggest inspiration has been nature and especially human nature, magic and ritual, my heritage as a Native American and the belief in an animistic connection of all life. The early Surrealists inspired me Like Dali and Max Ernst, the abstract expressionists especially Pollock and de Kooning. William S Burrough’s “sabotage of control” theme of his work I have found very inspiring, the political philosophy and performance art activism of The American Indian Movement, The Black Panther party and Anton LaVey. The Satanic Bible and Emerson’s “Self-Reliance” have had great influence on my art. In the early days Salvador Dali and his writings especially “The 50 secrets to Magic Craftsmanship”. It seems to me artists of today have forgotten that spirit of innovation, exploration and REVOLT in Art. I consider myself a sort of mad scientist of the arts and I believe it is up to the artists of today to create the great metaphors for our times especially in the age of potential ecological disasters and the new discoveries in Quantum Physics. While we are busy looking at our reflection in cyberspace some extraordinary things are manifesting within science. Being a good artist doesn’t mean worrying about your outfit or bank account it’s about contributing to the long history of art , philosophy and science and forging a new path forward.


What have you been working on recently?
I am finishing my 12th hand painted book “TRAPezoid godsanto CODEX Arlimentarius “ which marks a new level to my ART WAR. I feel the whole discourse in art has been stolen from the artists by the Art System (museums, art schools, art magazines, galleries and critics) and artists are supposed to shut up and do art and to never speak of what they think is great and what they think is shit. Postmodernism Art World’s term for almost all art today (and it’s a branch of so called philosophy and should be considered contemporary sociology) says, “everything is art” and “no art is better than any other art”. I say the “express yourself” generation needs some standards and quality control or at the very least TO MEAN IT. People don’t think artists MEAN IT or have TRUE PASSION and I’d have to agree that most artists don’t.
I recently finished my first movie “What is Art? Inside the Mind of the Artist as They Speak the Truth” and it is a direct attack on the one-dimensional view of Art. In the movie I create a TRUE ART list that has proven that there is a taboo around talking about TRUE ART. My new book marks the next stage of this ART WAR. The new book I am currently writing is “TRUE ART” (I need statements of TRUE ART from people for my book leybaart@gmail.com) Much of my new work is an exploration and protest of the genetically altered food we are all eating. It is an exploration into why we feel the need to change life, to change biology for profit and to focus on the fact these companies like Monsanto have waged a war against us and our bodies. We are their guinea pigs and we are eating the foods created by the same company that gave us DDT and Agent Orange and we have no say in the matter? And there are laws that make it a felony to speak out against this (“Veggie Libel Laws”). It is up to the visual artists to convey this atrocity. We need new metaphors and a new visual vocabulary to fully understand and process this biological attack and art can be a very good weapon against apathy.


Do you listen to music while you create your work?  If so, would you give some examples? 
Some say I listen exclusively to Billy Joel. He’s still one of my favorites. I like most Rock in Roll. Currently I am obsessed with and put on repeat “Hawkwind” and the “Yeah Yeah Yeah’s” I am obsessed with Karen O of the “Yeah Yeah Yeah’s” love her voice and lyrics. Recently I have put on repeat “Little Shadow” and painted all night while crying.

Do you do work in any other media? Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?
Writing especially aesthetics of TRUE ART and created a whole branch of philosophy I am still developing called “Coyotel”.
I never thought I’d be a filmmaker but somehow I became one. I’m working on my second film “PAINing POORtraits” I am an animist and I believe everything of life and spirit is connected so all of my projects relate. Recently I have been experimenting with stand up comedy and may do a comedy tour in 2010 called the “End of the World Again Yesterday”


What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?
You need authenticity. This is the age of the disingenuous. If you don’t mean it don’t show it. Give up the traps of “individualism” and “originality” it is a dead end trap of western thinking. Create from passion and from who you truly are. Once you do that your drive for exhibiting will give you motivation and energy to know and to seek out the very places you should show your work. Be TRUE to yourself and get good at conveying your totality and doors will open for you.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?
TRUE ART
The Warehouse Gallery
September 11th
www.warehousegallery.net
1234 International Blvd. Oakland Ca.,

Gallery 54B
2128 S Halsted St,
Chicago, IL Sept. 24th 6pm- 11:30pm

Where can people see more of your work on the internet?
www.stevenleyba.com and you can obtain a copy of my movie on DVD at http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00JJPGLV and I am on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/steven.leyba

No comments:

Post a Comment