Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ellen Jane Rogers



Who are you?  Where are you from and where do you live now?Hello I am Ellen Jane Rogers, I live and work in London, I am from Norfolk, alongside very cold and bizarre beaches. 

What is it that you do?  What media do you use?
I am a fine art/ fashion photographer, it is my full time job and I use a multitude of analogue cameras and films in order to experiment, but on the whole my media or medium is the darkroom. 


What do you think sets your work apart?
Well, very little sets me apart from other experimental analogue photographers, but in the fashion industry there are not so people using film so it’s more down to the arena I’m in that makes me stand out, I think.



How long have you been showing your work for?  Did you have a “big break?”
I’m still waiting for the fabled ‘big break’ as it stands, I refuse to shoot bands or celebrity, despite being asked more than I would like, but to answer your first question I have been doing editorials in fashion rags for about 2 years, or since I left ‘art school’, I hate that term, sorry to use it


What are some things that have inspired you?

Believe it or not, there are some video games that have left a lasting impression on me, and many many comics, comics by David Mack, Bill Sienkiewicz, Simon Bisley, Arthur Ranson , Yoshitaka Amano and so on.  

  

 

What have you been working on recently? 

I have three stories I just shot for various September issues in fashion magazines. So really I have been meeting deadlines. Other than that I was working on a project with my partner, you can see it here http://thedissolution.prizme.co.uk/. 

 

 

Do you listen to music while you create your work?  If so, would you give some examples? 

My boyfriend and I share a studio space, we mainly listen to Magma whilst we work, it is kind of good to send you into a trance like state. 

 

 

Do you do work in any other media?  Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work? 

Yeah I use super 8 to make my films, so far my films have been pretty personal, although they are arguably connected to my main body of work.  

 

 

What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work? 

That is a tricky one, although I’m convinced that online presence is one of the most important things you can master in order to display your work to the fullest audience, I certainly don’t underestimate the power good bloggers have. 

 

 

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention? 

As soon as the funding for mine and Prizme's collaborative project comes through we hope to do a couple of shows with the original artwork. But it doesn’t look like it will be on the cards in the near future.

 

Where can people see more of your work on the internet? 

www.ellenrogers.co.uk = my main site 

www.satanicdrugthing.blogspot.com = my personal blog 

www.flickr.com/beep_peep

2 comments:

  1. I am really fond of the subtle colour work in these. It conveys this strange "photographed dream" feel. Inspiring work.

    ReplyDelete